Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Splashes of ignorance

I have been listening to swami Guruparananda's Vivekachudamani audio classes while reading Swami Dayananda Saraswathy's Vivekacudamani, talks on 108 selected verses. Jayachandran strongly recommended to me to read the book. He even explained to me how the book helped him realize his true nature. He said the book transformed him entirely. I have read the book once. It did not initally have any great impact on me. I listened to the audio classes also once.But the effort did not seem to have an effect on me, or I did not think that way. 
Vedanta tradition always talks about the necessary qualification one must possess in order study the shastra and understand the vision of it. But then you come to know of the qualifications only when you start studying Vedanta. Hence it is told that for the one who does not have the qualifications, listening to the classes will enable him to acquire them. For a person who has the required qualifications, listening any of the maha vakhya is sufficient enough to understand his true nature and attain liberation.
What I have been writing here is not going to be coherent since I am neither a qualified teacher nor a spirited sadhaka. That is precisely why I have named these series of passages “out of dust bin” I just trash the garbage into this blog from my primary dust bin, my mind. What I have decided is to write only the things that will help me grow and which may not harm others’ feelings.  Horrible things are surely playing hide and seek in mind, which is of no use to share them with anyone, let alone harmful. I can only pray the almighty to help me overcome my weakness and focus on my sadhana. Hence I will be writing about anything, about spirituality, about the things that have inspired me. I will be happy if these passages are of any help to you. Kindly do not hesitate to help me with your wise words. 
Before we go on to see what actually are the necessary qualifications for a spiritual aspirant, let us analyse the exact reasons why we seek liberation and from what. When young, we all strive for happy life and make efforts to attain that happy life. We learn hard, write entrance exams, we graduate, post graduate, write competitive examinations, look for lucrative jobs, marry and reproduce. At certain point of time somewhere in between all these activities the futility of all these efforts stands up right in front of our face. However hard we try to fulfill the requirements of our mind, there seems always a void bigger than the already filled up area. Death appears on our front door and remains a larger reality than the life itself. We feel very limited and insignificant. Yet we want be to be happy all the time. We never want to be sad and uncomfortable. But the life always plays hide and seek games with us. We seem to be happy sometimes, and we are sad sometimes, in fact, to admit openly, most of the times.

No comments: